Did you know that a top reason for health-research study termination is failure to recruit participants?
Struggling to recruit? We’re here to help. The UF CTSI Recruitment Center was created to optimize recruitment and retention of study participants through consultations and services that help research teams address their study recruitment needs.
You can contact us for assistance at any point in your study, even before submitting for IRB approval.
Are you a community member who’s looking to participate in research? Find a study, volunteer for a program, and learn more.
Resources, Services and Consultations
The Recruitment Center supports several resources to help facilitate cohort identification and the recruitment of research participants, including
- Access to electronic health record data for cohort discovery
- Consent for contact to participate in research
- Participant-centered engagement methods to reach clinical, community and special populations
We can help determine which of the below resources is best for your study, and help you come up with a recruiting strategy.
- UF Health Integrated Data Repository (IDR) – aggregates data from the university’s clinical, administrative and research information systems, including the Epic electronic health record system, and includes:
- i2b2 – IRB-approved cohort discovery tool for querying a HIPAA-compliant “Limited Data Set” from the IDR
- UF Consent2Share – a program through which more than 25,000 patients have consented to allow UF researchers to contact them about research studies for which they might be eligible based on information in their electronic health record
- HealthStreet – a program that utilizes a community health worker model to connect northeast Florida residents to opportunities to participate in research as well as medical and social services, with more than 7,400 HealthStreet members who have completed a health intake assessing their health concerns and conditions
- ResearchMatch – a national registry of more than 100,000 volunteers willing to learn about opportunities to participate in research
- Communication and Dissemination – consultations, services and referrals to assist research teams with effective message design, dissemination and evaluation for recruitment materials
- UF StudyConnect – a central IRB-approved resource that maintains study listings on UFHealth.org to help interested individuals learn about and search for UF Health research studies that are enrolling participants
Trial Innovation Network
The CTSI Recruitment Center will serve as UF’s liaison to the national CTSA Trial Innovation Network Recruitment Innovation Centers and will contribute to the science of recruitment with an emphasis on participation of special populations, the use of innovative methods to disseminate messages about research and its findings, and the engagement of communities in methods to recruit and retain participants into health research that is relevant to them.
Meet the Team
Linda B. Cottler, PhD, MPH, Co-Director of CTSI Recruitment Center, Founder and Director of HealthStreet, and Dean’s Professor and Chair, Department of Epidemiology
Janice Krieger, PhD, Co-Director of CTSI Recruitment Center and Director of STEM Translational Communication Center, UF College of Journalism and Communications
Teresa d’Angelo, RN, BSN, CCRC, CTSI Director of Research Services
Elizabeth “Biz” Flood-Grady, PhD, Postdoctoral Associate
Lauren Light, Recruitment Coordinator
Questions? Contact Recruitment Coordinator Lauren Light, 352-273-5517.