The UF CTSI Recruitment Center was created in the fall of 2015 to optimize recruitment and retention of study participants through consultations and services that help research teams address their study recruitment needs, including access to electronic health record data for cohort discovery, consent for contact to participate in research, and participant-centered engagement methods to reach clinical, community and special populations.
Part of the CTSI Service Center, the CTSI Recruitment Center facilitates consults with CTSI research navigators, service providers and subject-matter experts to address participant recruitment needs. In addition, the CTSI Recruitment Center will serve as UF’s liaison to the national CTSA Trial Innovation Network Recruitment Innovation Centers and will contribute to the science of recruitment with an emphasis on participation of special populations, the use of innovative methods to disseminate messages about research and its findings, and the engagement of communities in methods to recruit and retain participants into health research that is relevant to them.
Resources, Services and Consultations
The CTSI Recruitment Center supports several resources to help facilitate cohort identification and the recruitment of research participants. To request a consult, please contact Lauren Light, recruitment coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- UF Health Integrated Data Repository (IDR) – aggregates data from the university’s clinical, administrative and research information systems, including the Epic electronic health record system, and includes:
- i2b2 – IRB-approved cohort discovery tool for querying a HIPAA-compliant “Limited Data Set” from the IDR
- UF Consent2Share – a program through which more than 25,000 patients have consented to allow UF researchers to contact them about research studies for which they might be eligible based on information in their electronic health record
- HealthStreet – a program that utilizes a community health worker model to connect northeast Florida residents to opportunities to participate in research as well as medical and social services, with more than 7,400 HealthStreet members who have completed a health intake assessing their health concerns and conditions
- ResearchMatch – a national registry of close to 100,000 volunteers willing to learn about opportunities to participate in research
- Communication and Dissemination – consultations, services and referrals to assist research teams with effective message design, dissemination and evaluation for recruitment materials
- UF StudyConnect – a central IRB-approved resource that maintains study listings on UFHealth.org to help interested individuals learn about and search for UF Health research studies that are enrolling participants
Recruitment Center Team
Linda B. Cottler, PhD, MPH, Co-Director
Janice Krieger, PhD, Co-Director
Teresa d’Angelo, RN, BSN, CCRC, CTSI Director of Research Services
Elizabeth “Biz” Flood-Grady, PhD, Postdoc
Lauren Light, Recruitment Coordinator