The Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Research Design Program (BERD) provides a central location for investigators to seek research design and analysis support through the UF Clinical and Translational Science Institute. It links investigators with multidisciplinary faculty members and experts in various methodological techniques including biostatistics, epidemiology, qualitative data techniques, measurement and evaluation in health-related research. This program also assists students and young investigators to access basic and advanced graduate classes in research design, data acquisition and management, and data analysis that are applicable across the entire spectrum of clinical and translational research. The main goals of BERD include:
- Serving as an early point of contact for investigators to facilitate their research, whether stand-alone or multidisciplinary.
- Providing investigators with high-quality research design and analysis assistance for their grant applications. We also conduct monthly studios (third Wednesdays 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.) with lunch, where three BERD faculty members meet with researchers in small groups for almost one-to-one discussions of the attendee’s research.
- Providing investigators with assessable access to statisticians for basic statistical questions. We hold weekly Open Office Hours with a BERD member on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. in Clinical and Translational Research Building (CTRB) 5211. No RSVp required. Operates on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Act as a liaison to ensure that the educational needs in both quantitative and qualitative methods, individually tailored to students and young investigators are met.
- Develop and adopt new methodology as needed for specific clinical and translational research.
- UF Department of Biostatistics: http://www.biostat.ufl.edu
- UF Department of Health Outcomes and Policy: http://www.health-outcomes-policy.ufl.edu
- UF Department of Statistics: http://www.stat.ufl.edu/
- UF Department of Epidemiology: http://epidemiology.phhp.ufl.edu
- Association of Clinical and Translational Statisticians: http://ags.bwh.harvard.edu
Director: Peihua Qiu, Ph.D., Chair, Department of Biostatistics